February 1, 2013

3 Things I Wish I Knew About Money


I hate thinking about how much money has gone through my hands & how little I have to show for it. 
So, over the last number of months I have been working hard to gain a healthy, biblical, & practical view of finances. I’ve decided that my Fridays will be dedicated to blogging on finances about what I’ve been learning. In the first edition of “Finance Fridays” here are 3 Things I Wish I Knew About Money growing up.

It Is Not Evil
I don’t quite know where it started, but for the longest time I had this view that money was completely evil & I didn’t want anything to do with it. Perhaps it was all the scandals I heard of Christian leaders mismanaging it or all the times I heard Christians misquote 1 Timothy 6:10, “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” Let me set some people free – it is the ‘love of money’ that is ‘a root’ of all kinds of evil. There is no good or evil money, only good or evil heart motives. Money is neutral.

God Wants Me To Have It
Scripture is filled with verses speaking about God desiring to bless His people, predominately so that His people could be a blessing to others (Genesis 18:18). But, since I believed money was evil I really didn’t believe God wanted me to have it & I didn’t really believe the passages that talk about how His people are called to be “the head & not the tail… the plans of the diligent lead to profit… In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has,” (Deut. 28:13, Prov. 21:5, Prov. 21:20). However, recently I have been rattle with truth, the good Samaritan would never have been able to put the beat up man in an inn had he not had a coin! You can’t give what you don’t have.

Financial Debt Is 
Not From God
Let me make something very clear, there is only is one type of debt the Bible says it is okay to have & it has nothing to do with money! Right after Paul tells believers to pay people what they owe he writes, “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law,” (Romans 13:8). There is no such thing biblically as ‘good’ financial debt.

I know that this is completely against what our culture teaches, but debt is not from God. Matter of fact, if it was up to God, “The Lord will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none,” (Deuteronomy 28:12). The reality is that if you are in debt financially, then you are a slave! “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender,” (Proverbs 22:7). True spiritual freedom permeates every area of your life, including your finances!

Let’s Do This Together
Do you think you have a healthy view of finances? Has this blog challenged your view of finances? What are some things you wish you knew about finances growing up?

2 comments:

  1. I've struggled most in the first two areas for most of my life: (1) money is evil and (2) God does not want me to have it. In fact, i've believed it so much that I even begin to doubt whether or not I could effectively steward the money if it was given to me. For instance, it might sound silly, but whenever I don't win the lotto I say to myself, "it's probably for the best. God knows the money would just ruin me..." and as you mentioned that's more of a reflection of the person and not the money itself. I just realized I have an unhealthy fear and view of money to the point where it has caused me to doubt my stewardship of it. That mentality is starting to change however. This season of really struggling through my finances and even having conversations with others are securing me in my ability to be a better steward of my finances and put out the fear of mismanaging my funds. The fear of mismanagement actually makes me feel better about not having money... and that's not right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Thank you so much for sharing. You are definitely not the only wrestling with the fear of having or mismanaging money. I have thought very similar for a long time. I ran from gaining wealth for fear that it would corrupt me or I would be judged for how horribly I used it. However, I'm learning that God loves me way too much to allow money to destroy me. If He blesses me with something it is because He has prepared me to manage it well.

      The questions are, "Have I allowed Him to prepare me for all that He wants to give me? Am I willing to allow Him to prepare me for what He wants to give me?" I'm ready for it & I believe you are too!

      Delete