January 31, 2013

Where Did My Day Go? 4 Steps For Daily Fulfillment


Don’t you hate the days when you come home after working 8 – 12 grueling hours & when you ask yourself “What did I even do today?” you arrive at the ever frustrating answer, “I don’t know, but I know I worked hard.” I have been there way too much for my liking, but thank God for change! Let me give you 4 easy steps to turn the dreadful question, “Where did my day go?” into a question of great fulfillment.

Step 1: 
Have a Plan
It is easy to go throughout the day & be pulled from one thing to another without even wanting too. The reality is that your day will do exactly what you want it to do. You have to be intentional to focus for your day, not expect your day is going to focus for you. Make a plan for your next day before you go to bed or as soon as you wake up. Your minutes are soldiers & you are the general, where are you directing them?

Step 2: 
Implement Your Plan
Implementation can be one of the easiest things to theorize & hardest to practice, but you have to do it! A great plan is meaningless if you don’t follow through. Prepare your heart & mind to make intentional decisions to stick to your plan throughout the day. You can’t do everything, know everything, or connect with everybody. Focus on your plan, put it into action; step by step, piece by piece, & second by second. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
 
Step 3: 
Pause to Reflect
Push the pause button. Set specific moments throughout the day to reflect on the progress you are making. This will allow you to reevaluate your plan for the rest of your day. Are you making the progress you wanted? Do you need to rearrange your schedule to ensure your priorities are being accomplished? Move things accordingly.



Step 4: 
Remember, God is in Control
Breathe. While it is true that, “The plans of the diligent lead to profit as sure as haste leads to poverty,” (Proverbs 21:5), it is also true that, “Many are the plans of a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails,” (Proverbs 19:2). Ultimately you can rest in the reality that God is in control of your day, even when you feel like you aren’t. Things will come up, interruptions & distractions will try to knock you off track. Don’t freak out, just refocus your heart & mind on God’s rule over your day & refocus on your plan.

You don't have to leave work frustrated, go to bed anxious, or wake up dreading another day. Take control of your day, minutes, & seconds. It's time for greater fulfillment through intentional daily living.


Let’s Do This Together:
What is the hardest part of making a plan for your day, week, month, or year & sticking to it? How can you change that today?

5 comments:

  1. The hardest part for me is discerning the right priorities. I've ben to spend about 30 minutes every morning seeking to discern my priorities for the day, and then create my plan. It works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. PB, taking time to think through your priorities & writing out a plan of attack, that is so good!

      Discerning priorities is definitely a challenge. I find myself constantly being brought back to the drawing board & prayer asking the questions of, "Why is this important? How does this tie into the big picture? Can it wait? Who is going to be impacted by it? What happens if it does not get done?" I realized that many things I have thought are priorities really are not priorities.

      I'm learning that my priorities need to focus around the things that only I can do & things I need to delegate. If I don't need to focus on them then delegate them. Delegating has to be just as much of a priority as me actually doing them.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. The hardest part for me is time management. So I love the first point where we should really take time to plan out the next day. Our minutes are soldiers, and we are the general- I love it!
    Wow, this was SO well written and delivered, P.Joseph. Thank you so much for the share! It's definitely encouraging me with what God is currently speaking to me about my lifestyle right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eunice,
      It's great to hear how you are intentionally moving forward in your lifestyle. So many times we are willing to make a plan for school, ministry, dieting, etc. but we don't think about doing it for our lives. I'm excited to hear about your forward movement as you being to order your days & cause your time to work for you. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete