February 15, 2013

Dreaded Financial Emergencies


Let’s keep it real, nobody likes to be blindsided with a financial emergency, especially when you’re barely making it month to month. Financial emergencies are one of the most dreaded things for the average family. Alongside the emotional dynamics of an emergency, who likes to be told they are going to have to come up with an extra $200, $500, $1000+ for the month?

However, financial emergencies don’t always need to be emergencies. Let me clarify, that getting new shoes, going on a date, buying new clothes, eating out, Christmas, a birthday, or a vacation are NOT financial emergencies. Just because everyone else is doing it, you don’t want to feel alienated, or you don’t want to be looked at as weird, does not make something an emergency.

Second, most people face financial ‘emergencies’ simply because there has been a lacking of planning, budgeting, saving, & unwise spending. When you spend your money without keeping the future in mind it is called foolishness. Proverbs 21:20 tells us, “In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.” The wise keep the future in mind, save for it, prepare for it, & are not caught off guard when the unexpected happens; fools are the opposite.

This month my wife & I had to make 2 major expenditures that, in the past, would have devastated us financially, probably led to relational conflict, & put us in a financial hole. We had to purchase new tires ($400+ need) & take our dog to the vet because he got injured ($200+ emergency). However, because we have been working hard, recently developed an emergency fund, & been saving it was really no hit at all. There was no credit card, no financial stress, no anxiety, no arguments, & no debt! Rather, there was great relief, gratitude to God, & peace.

For many, including me, saving & wise spending have been very hard practices to master, but they absolutely essential. The life style of devouring all you have is a self destructive heart issue that will cause you to continually experience financial emergencies. You have to face it & you can beat it!

If you truly believe God to be your Source & the One who has entrusted you with His finances, then there will be a heart change resulting in managing your finances as one who is ‘wise.’ You can change your spending habits, you can save, & you can have ‘stores of choice food & oil.’ While they will never be fun, you don’t have to dread financial emergencies any longer. Let change begin today.

Let’s Do This Together
What do you dread most about financial emergencies? Are you devouring all you have? What changes do you need to make in your heart, mind & habits so you can be prepared for a financial emergency?


Finance Fridays #3

2 comments:

  1. This blog came at such a perfect time! I was just telling my mom about how I hate when unsuspected things come up that I have to pay for, which is why I recently started an emergency fund! there isn't much in there yet, but I trust that God will provide, and I will do my part to be faithful to my saving! God has already shown me how He can provide from the most unexpected places, like a random gift from a friend which is exactly what I needed. I still need to make these new habits HABITS, and trust (shift my heart to trust) that while I may not get to do everything I want right now, I will be better prepared for the future by saving now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devyn, it is so great to hear about the direction you are moving in one step at a time. You life patterns take time, but they align you for life-long fruitfulness. Keep going girl. Every small step builds towards a great destination. You can't do everything, be everywhere, or know everyone, but you're learning to prioritize so that all you do is powerful, effective, & extremely fruitful!

    ReplyDelete