February 8, 2012

"To Risk Or Not To Risk?"

As I started school this semester I knew that it would be nothing sort of a major risk. I knew that if I was going to do it I would have to give it my very best. I mean, why invest money, time, energy, emotion and passion if I was just going to go through the motions? Why risk the tensions it could bring on my marriage? Why risk how it would affect my weeks? Why risk the late nights & sacrificing of sleep? Why risk having to say ‘no’ to hanging out with friends & family which goes against every fiber of my extrovert, people & event-oriented being???!!!

The reason is because the risk is worth it!

Too often we cower when it comes to taking risk. Many times we allow fear to so paralyze us that we either don’t move a muscle in any direction or we frantically retreat! Trying new thing is not always easy. Matter of fact, it is way easier to not try something new then it is to try something new. I mean, who wants to be humiliated if you mess up? Who wants to look crazy or like you don’t know what you’re doing? Who wants to fail?

You know what I’m talking about right? I mean it is way easier to not dream then to dream big & have those dreams dashed, right? Who wants to pursue something & then have it all fall apart? Who wants to exert tons of energy, time, money or emotions into something for it to just not work out? Do any of these questions sound familiar? Have you asked them before?

We need to change our ways of thinking...
We need to dream beyond our ability
to make things happen!


For fear of the fall
we miss the experience
of the jump...
 When it comes to relationships, ministry, work and things God has placed on our heart we cannot afford to not try new things, to not dream big & to not pursue the dreams God has placed on our hearts! We often say, “It’s too much of a risk…” What we’re really saying is, “I’m too afraid to try…. I’m too afraid to fail… I’m too afraid to be let down…”

In either case, we’re making ourselves the focus & taking the possibility of these things happening out of God’s hands. If we really get to the root of what we are saying it is, “God is not big enough… God is not strong enough… All things except this thing are possible for God… Not all things are possible for him who believes, only some things are…” Show me in the Bible where God’s people are identified by Him as fearful or timid. Where does God say His people should play it safe or lack confidence? I see the opposite.

I read that they are bold as lions, confident, strong, powerful, do mighty exploits,
defy the odds & do it with the
strength of God.

You'll never know
unless you try...
If we were really honest, we would recognize that playing it safe is really us trusting in our own ability to make things happen in our lives. When it doesn’t seem like we can make it happen then we play it safe. It’s time that we change the way we think & live. Too often we have missed out on the miraculous work of God in our lives because we have played it safe… It’s time to rise up in the strength of our God & move forward with courage! If we look at our families, our neighborhoods, our nation & our world we can clearly see that we can’t afford to not risks because the risks that God calls us to take are worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Good as usual brother!
    Taking risks for me has been essential and extremely critical for the maturity of my spirit. I set a goal once to work for a certain company. I knew beyond doubt, that, that company was where God wanted to be at. I had no experience whatsoever. No degrees. No recent work history close to what they asked for and the pay was beyond what I had ever imagined. I din't get the job, but I knew that it was mine... so I went to work! I went to my secret place and sought the Holy Spirit's wisdom. I got a similar job making 50% less pay, working for some of the worst leaders I have ever worked under. I got another job just to be able to make ends. Was only able to see my wife and kids for 20 minutes per day, sometimes less. I was offered at least 5 other high paying jobs.

    I missed church often, but I was focused on that prize! I gained wisdom, matured much, strengthened my marriage, became closer friends with the Holy Spirit and now... ''that'' prize is mine!
    Sure I risked much, but I gained much and to be honest, I lost very little.

    ReplyDelete