January 17, 2013

When You Shouldn't Have Been Born


My life is good. 28 years ago today God allowed me to take my first fresh breath of His air. Doctors told my mom numerous times that she should abort me because it would be dangerous to have me. She was constantly sick while I was in her womb. There were tons of complications. They even told her that both she & I could die if she went through with the pregnancy.

According to doctors & according to the enemy I was not supposed to be born. But how many of you know that God loves a challenge? What is “not supposed to be” in the world is no match for God’s “I purposed it.”

As I reflect on the last 28 years of my life there have three truths that have been pillars for me: God is in control, He is good, & He loves me. The prophet Isaiah tells us of Jesus that, “To the increase of his government & peace there will be no end,” (Isaiah 9:6). God really is in control; there is nothing that can happen outside of His governance. It doesn’t matter how things seem to look, there is no power, authority, dominion or government that is above Jesus rule.

Therefore, I may not always understand what I am going through. I may not always understand why I am going through it. The situations may be hard & the circumstances may even be hurtful, but God will ultimately work it for my good (Romans 8:28). His thoughts & plans for me are always good (Jeremiah 29:11). Even the things the enemy means for evil, God can & will turn it out for my good (Genesis 50:20). He has the power to work it for my good & He wants to work it for my good!

Finally, I can trust that God will work things out for my good, not just because He is in control & He is good, but because He loves me. How great is the love that God has lavished on me that He calls me a son? (1 John 3:1). He loved me enough to send His Son Jesus on the cross for me (John 3:16). This is something that my natural father, Chon F. Sevier, has helped me to understand so much. The love of a father is unconditional, sacrificial, selfless, affirming, & never ending. God’s love for me never fails.

A life that was not ‘supposed’ to happen has happened & it is making things happen in this world. My life is good & so is yours. No matter where you are at in your life today God can work it out for good if you will look to Him. He loves you, wants to work for your good, & He has the power to do it.

If you still don’t believe me, check out this video below about Nick Vujicic (http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org). A man with no arms & no feet; who, according to the world was not ‘supposed’ to have a good life. He believed different…


Happy birthday to me :)


Let’s Do This Together:
What is one specific way your life would be different if you truly believed God was in control, He wants to work for your good, & He loves you?

No comments:

Post a Comment