January 20, 2013

The Power of Expectation


Growing up, birthdays were some of the greatest times of the year for me. I loved wakening up in the morning with the expectation that something awesome was going to happen that day. I remember asking my parents for gifts, to throw me a birthday party, or to make me fried chicken. The feeling of anticipation to experience what they were preparing was always a such a thrill. I imagine David feeling the same ways when he wrote, “In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation” (Psalm 5:3).
 
You see, expectation positions your heart in a vulnerable way. I have heard people say, “I just choose not to expect things from God or people so that I don’t feel let down when things don’t happen.” What a sad way to live. You can’t allow past let downs keep you from opening your heart to the awesome things that God has in store for you. When you do this you position your heart in a way that may cause you to miss out on what He has. With a closed heart, even if He were to drop something in your lap you may not recognize it.

Expectation also guards us from apathy. When people have allowed their heart to become apathetic they are no longer motivated, excited, or hoping for greater things. Expectation always keeps you on your toes. It allows you to be fully satisfied with all that God has blessed you with, but eagerly waiting for more. When you have a heart of expectation, you know that your Father always wants to give more!

Finally, expectation prepares your heart to receive from God. Your eyes are peeled, heart wide open, & hands out ready to receive what He gives you. True expectation also does not just expect to receive from God, but it prepares to receive from God & allow it to overflow into the lives of others; it is an action word. Expectation will always move us into godly action. Even as we wait for the fulfillment of our expectation, we are moving towards great things! It is as the famous missionary William Carey said, “Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God.”


Let’s Do This Together:
In what areas of your life have your lost expectation for God to move? How has this affected your life? What is one thing that you are expecting God to do in your life & what are you attempting as you wait for it to be fulfilled?

No comments:

Post a Comment